Sunday 19 April 2015

Interview With Surinder Kaur







Hi Surinder ma'am, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Hi, I am a teacher professionally and an artist at heart. A very amateurish one, who is a jack of all but master of none. Passion and emotion are integral part of whatever I do.

How did you come up with the title of your story, ‘Alweera's never die?'
 My story is about the transformation of people when their circumstances change. Usually the reactions or let me say the responses to certain situations are same or similar. Alweera is a weak persona in my setting how she passes it on is all that comprises of my storyline.

Who is your favorite character from your story, ‘ Alweera's never die?’ and why?
 Shivangi is my favorite character because you never expect her to transform but she does. Why, I want my reader’s response to find whether they understand her turmoil and accept her transformation or not.

How important are names to you in your story, ‘Alweera's never die?’ Did you choose the names based on liking the way it sounds or the meaning? Do you have any name choosing  resources you recommend?
Hmmm, not very important because choosing names was an impulsive decision for me.


Are there underrepresented groups or ideas featured in your story,’ Alweera's never die?’  If so, please tell us about them.
Some things are personal but largely a fictional build up. My personal opinion that even the strongest of people sometimes fall into the trap of emotional breakdowns and no longer can they behave in the same manner.

What were your goals and intentions in this story, and how well do you feel you achieved them?
It was a maiden attempt, no big ideas only a simple attempt. My story is a medium to convey that whatever we say about women empowerment reality differs in many cases and incidents. The rest is for readers to decide whether I did it successfully or not. 

Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
Not really.

Given that you work full time and also an artist, how do you find time for writing?
Passion of trying new things has always been my usp. Days are to work and nights are tailored to fuel creativity.


What are some day jobs that you have held?  If any of them impacted your writing, please share an example.
Yes, indeed, working as a government school teacher has given me an opportunity to look into the people from poor socioeconomic background, their lives, their challenges and especially the plight of women from that background.

What cultural value do you see in writing/reading/storytelling/etc?
 All these have a power to create, explore and improve as a person and also if done effectively can definitely bring a social awareness.

Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work?  What impact have they had on your writing?
I am more of a poetry person, so I don’t think there is any influence as I m not a story or prose reader in a real sense.

How do you feel about ebooks vs. print books and alternative vs. conventional publishing?
Somehow I feel reading a real book is a much more satisfying experience than these gadgets.

What question do you wish that someone would ask about your story, but nobody has? Write it out here, then answer it.
I expect questions after people read the book, as it is still not on stands ,I am not thinking about it.

What are you working on now? What is your next project?
Poetry is my present area of exploration.


Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?
Being simplistic and creating through the heart is the best way to express.

How was experience with Sanmati Publishers?
Wonderful and encouraging. They provided me a platform and their strategies have been appreciable. I am full of gratitude towards them.

Thanks so so much for your precious time ma'am. We wish you success in all your future literary endeavors.

Interviewed By Enakshi & Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment